- Ka-ching? At the end of last week the Big Lottery Fund announced it is stumping up £10m to get the sector investment ready, which will enable social ventures to go on and secure further investment.
- Kabul? Meanwhile despite living in the 7th richest country in the world, half a million Briton’s are now using food banks. If only there was a spare £10m laying about somewhere?
- Ka-rageous? New research showed this week that almost two thirds of Brits would make some sacrifice to continue giving to charity if their financial circumstances changed for the worse.
- Ka-plunk? Other research also out this week suggests that businesses on the other hand are likely to demand more from partnerships with charities in future.
- Ka-boom? With all this uncertainty many charities are considering social enterprise as an option, with more new research from SEUK and NCVO showing many are already earning the majority of their income and many more wish to do so. The release of these findings has attracted mixed reviews online, so expect to hear plenty of debate in coming weeks as to whether social enterprise is the panacea to the sector’s problems.
- Khaki? Inevitably the social enterprise sector will one develop an armed wing, so Nick Temple has got the ball rolling with an interesting piece on how social enterprise could tap in to the defence industry. Batten down the hatches!